Updated Winter 2023
Did you know there are over 75 sparkling wine producers in Santa Barbara County? And we have 18 of them right here in Los Olivos! Many are such small production that they aren’t available year-round, so make sure to ask at the winery when you visit.
Here are the top 10 sparkling wines in downtown Los Olivos:
- Brewer-Clifton‘s Sparkling Wine is a labor of love. The entire process is done in-house, completely méthode champenoise (traditional Champagne method), with all tasks done by hand, made from 100% Chardonnay. Not always available, so ask for it.
- The Bubble Shack is all bubbly, all the time bubbles from Fess Parker with 3 sparklers on their tasting menu (open weekends only). It’s one of the only places in Santa Barbara County you can do a sparkling tasting flight.
- Carhartt Family Wine’s sparkling wine is a Pét-Nat, or pétillant naturel, made each year in limited quantities. The variety and style changes every year, and they do run out, so ask about them.
- Coquelicot makes a traditional method sparkling wine made from dry Riesling.
- Future Perfect has just released a Sparkling Rosé Méthode Champenoise made of 69% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay and 6% Pinot Menuier (these are the classic grape varieties allowed in Champagne, France).
- Liquid Farm is one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to see French Champagne under their own label! (The Grand Cru Champagne is a Blanc De Blancs from Le Mesnil, and only available to members). They also produces a domestic Sparkling Wine in the traditional method and utilizes hand-picked Chardonnay from Rita’s Crown, Spear, and Kessler-Haak Vineyards.
- Margerum produces a 2019 Blanc de Blancs (made in méthode champensoise) under their Barden label. You can order 2 glasses with a dozen oysters in the tasting room, or get a taste if you indulge in their gourmet Bento box lunch paired with their wines (must order ahead for these).
- Refugio Ranch makes a Pét-Nat of Sangiovese called Gleason Family Vineyards. This red sparkler is in the style of classic Italian red bubbly wines.
- Saarloos & Sons releases a Sparkling Wine once every decade. The latest one is a Sparkling Rosé of 100% Estate Grenache Noir – 10 Years In The Making. SOLD OUT!
- Stolpman’s Combe label (a partnership between Pete Stolpman and Raj Parr) makes a Pét-Nat of sparkling Trousseau—the only sparkling Trousseau in the world.
BONUS! Local Sparkling Wine when you dine at Bar Le Côte: Los Olivos Skin Contact Pét-Nat